Friday, 22 January 2016

Turning To The Dark Side




As I said in my Goodbye Red Hair post I was going to be dying my hair dark as the upkeep was getting just a little too "high maintenance" for my liking and wanted a shade that I could dye maybe once every 3 months and not have to worry about it fading and looking orange.
I ended up doing one more vitamin c treatment after I put that post up and I'd managed to fade my hair to a level 6 warm gingery shade and by that I mean I looked like Carrot Top but I was confident that the brown shade I'd selected to go over it would cover it nicely.

I was wrong!!!
This is why I say I'm not a qualified hair colourist and if you are going to do your own hair please do your research and be prepared for mistakes!



I used my favourite brand of home hair colourant L'Oreal Casting Creme Gloss in the shade 513 Iced Truffle, a medium brown with an ash/gold undertone and this is where I made the mistake.
I knew I needed an ash based dye to counteract the orange tones in my hair but since ash dye always looks really flat on me I went with the secondary gold tone thinking that it wouldn't be so prominent since the ash tone come first.
My hair came out a dark purply red, it wasn't brown and I was pissed off!

As you can see there's a definite red/violet tone to my hair in the above picture and it looked worse in natural daylight.



This little gem rescued my hair, on the back of the box it says that it helps to cut out red tones and they aren't lying!


So the next day I took a trip to Superdrug to correct my mistake, I knew I would have to get a pure ash tone, preferably one with a green based pigment as green is opposite red on the colour wheel and came across Clairol's Nice N' Easy in 77 Medium Ash Brown.
I'm glad to report that I am now a brunette with no red tones to be seen! It did come out a lot darker than the swatch on the box but I'm okay with that because it means it will take longer to fade.

and yes that's a Darth Vader T-Shirt I'm wearing, lol

I'm now gonna stick to this darker shade and try and grow out all the damage caused from the bleach from when I was platinum blonde, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment