Friday, 5 February 2016

Foundation Friday: Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft Matte HydratingFoundation


When I first saw this foundation I was intrigued by the claims of it being both matte and hydrating, that's something you simply don't see very often.
Since my skin has gotten drier over the past few month I can no longer wear the kind of foundations that I like. I'm not a big fan of overly dewy foundations because they always end up looking very greasy on me but at the same time I cannot wear anything thats too matte because it accentuates any dryness on my skin and always looks too heavy.
So I picked this up with high hopes and it doesn't disappoint!
Despite my skin being super dehydrated at the minute it looks beautiful on and if I was blind testing this I would have guessed it was high end and not drugstore.
It's all I've worn since I got it and I would go as far as saying that this could possibly replace my NARS Sheer Glow.


Shade Selection
My major issue here is the colour selection, there's 6 shades to choose from and while there is a really pale shade thrown in the mix the darkest it goes is a medium tan shade so this will suit a very limited audience.
I'm Casper The Ghost white at the minute so the lightest shade 01 Natural is a dead on match however there's no match to my tanned shade because they either run to pink or too orange.
The US got 12 shades we got 6, I will never understand why companies do this! I'm aware we live in the UK and we see the sun for a total of a week a year if we are lucky but we aren't all pink and pale!


Texture & Finish
The marketing blurb say this a gel foundation but I would have to say it's more on the creamy mousse side of things, this stuff is thick!!!
The coverage is also thick but I don't mean that in a bad way, I needed the tiniest blob to give me full coverage while looking completely natural. It literally looks like second skin which is quite amazing for a matte foundation.
The finish is indeed velvety but without looking powdery, this as a natural radiance that prevents it looking flat or dull.
The best part of this is that I really does work on dry skin, it doesn't accentuate flaky patches and doesn't dehydrate my skin any further like most matte foundations do.

Application
Stippling brush all the way! I've tried a buffing brush and it makes it look quite heavy and using a Beauty Blender used up way too much product.
I found with the stippling brush the products is distributed evenly and gave the best full but natural finish.

Longevity
I can easily get a full days wear out of this without needing any touch-ups, it will look perfect from the minute you put it on to the minute you take it off. In fact I'm gonna go on record and say that this wear better on me than my beloved Estee Lauder Double Wear!
I will say however that this isn't transfer-proof, the first time I tried this I did not set it and it got all over my phone so a powder is a must.

The foundation retails at £7.99 for 30ml and will last you ages considering how much you need.
At the minute both Boots and Superdrug have a buy one get one half price offer on select Maybelline so it's a chance to grab yourself a bit of a bargain too.


No comments:

Post a Comment